Tuesday, August 26, 2014

First Hand-Carved Wooden Spoon

In between fielding phone calls about something I really don't feel like dealing with, I sat in the unusual relative quiet of my back porch and roughed in my first wooden spoon with a Morakniv Classic 2/0. I have a MoraKniv 164 hook knife in-bound for carving the bowl...stay tuned!

Thanks to Norwegian Bushcraft for the inspiration: 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cP49GGctKyo

Heres an update, one day later:

 

Again today, in-between fielding unpleasant, unproductive phone calls, I sat on the back porch and completed work on my first bushcraft spoon. I carved the entire thing with the pictured Morakniv Classic 2/0, the Morakniv 164 spoon knife that just arrived today, and a bit of sand paper. Can anybody tell me what type of wood I have used?...I'm suspecting Black Walnut or else Oak, but I am not sure. Also I need a suggestion for an oil to put on the spoon so I can use it to stir my coffee when I am out in the bush.

Back view-- 
I've been told by an artist friend it might be Spalted Maple....which makes sense. It was a very well-seasoned piece at the bottom of a firewood pile: 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment